The following map shows the location of St Michael and All Angels within Christchurch
Note the nearby Lichfield St Car Park and the central bus exchange at the intersection of Lichfield and Colombo. Note that there is no car parking on the church site.
St Michael and All Angels is in the centre of Christchurch. There are many accommodation options close by, including hotels, hostels and motels.
There are 115 Airbnb options available within the Four Avenues of Central Christchurch from ensuite single rooms and studios to apartments and hotel suites. Since the earthquakes self-contained hotel suites, new apartments and stylish retro hotel suites are now part of the accommodation stock. Due to Covid-19 discounted accommodation is available in the inner city from $36 to $160 a night. For example:
- The Old Government Building (OGB) now provides renovated and stylish accommodation
- The Cathedral Junction eclectic style boutique hotel now offers discounted rooms
- The Latimer Square City Centre (next to the Transitional Cathedral) has apartment accommodation available
Food and Drink
There are many food and drink options in central Christchurch for dinner, lunch, or a cafe trip. Here’s some suggestions:
The Riverside Market: immediately across the road from St Michael’s. It has 27 dining and drinking options from across the globe and is appropriate for lunch, dinner, or a quick coffee. Dress warmly and enjoy. Closes 9pm.
Little High: 255 High Street: Eight ethnic market style cafes under one roof. Closes 10 pm.
Pomaroy’s Old Brewery: 294 Kilmore St, delicious gastro pub style food, hearty portions.
The Cellar Door: 1 Hereford Street: The Arts Centre, the pre-earthquakes Annie’s Restaurant site re incarnated; new, cosmopolitan and gorgeous.
Dux Central: 144 Lichfield St, A 30-year-old Christchurch institution. Vegetarian plus fish/seafood.
Francesca’s Italian Kitchen: 149 Gloucester St, authentically Italian and consistently good.
El Quincho: 98 Oxford Terrace: Affordable Argentinian steakhouse.
Fiddlesticks Restaurant & Bar: Cnr Worcester Boulevard & Montreal St, Great European/NZ style dishes.
Mumbaiwala Indian Street Kitchen: 420 Hereford St. Best downtown Indian.
Corianders: 222 St Asaph St: Light and healthy Indian. Caters for all dietary needs.
Smokey T’s: 314 Cashel Street, American low and slow BBQ.:
Twenty Seven Steps: 16 New Regent Street: International and award winning. Pricy but worth it.
Unknown Chapter Coffee Roasters: 254 St Asaph St.
The Good Habit: 319 St Asaph St. Old pre-earthquake ‘Community of the Sacred Name’ site.
Foundation Café at Tūranga: 60 Cathedral Square. Ground floor of Tūranga, the fabulous new Christchurch City Library Building.
Ilex Café: Beautifully set in the Botanical Gardens. Walk the pathway from the left side of the Canterbury Museum.
The Thirsty Peacock: 49 Worcester Boulevard (Art Gallery Building, Ground Floor)
Brunch or lunch
Little Poms: 294 Kilmore St.
Black Betty’s: 165 Madras Street.
The Mediterranean: 322 Tuam St, authentic Italian.
The Herb Centre: 223A Kilmore St, delicious vegetarian and plant-based food.
Getting Around in Christchurch
- The bus terminal is called the Bus Interchange located one block from St Michael’s on the corner of Columbo and Lichfield Streets. For timetables and fares: https://www.metroinfo.co.nz/travel-and-fares-info/bus-interchange
- The Metro map: https://networkmap.metroinfo.co.nz
- Gold Card holders travel free at off-peak times (9am-3pm, and after 6:30pm on weekdays, and all day on weekends and public holidays).
- If you’re staying several days it can be cheaper to buy a Metrocard than pay cash fares.
Car share and hire options
- Uber and Ola both operate in Christchurch.
- Zilch: Electric car share hire from one hour to several days. Easy hire and drive from Christchurch Airport. For more information: https://www.christchurchairport.co.nz/travellers/parking-and-transport/car-share/
- Mountain and city bikes, and E-bike hire available at : https://www.actionbicycleclub.com/
- Standard bikes: $30 a day. E-bikes:$80 a day
- E-Bike hire: About $80 a day. https://electrify.nz/christchurch
- City Cycling Map: https://ccc.govt.nz/transport/cycling/cycling-maps
Electric scooter and E-bike hire:
- Lime and Flamingo short ride scooters operate in Christchurch
- Lime also have E-bikes for hire.